Friday, September 27, 2013

Personality Tests and Affirmation Solicitations

Here's my score from the Myers-Briggs test: ISFJ
  • Introvert 78%
  • Sensing 50%
  • Feeling 75%
  • Judging 33%
In case you're wondering which Harry Potter character my results align with, apparently I'm Neville Longbottom. Not my ideal, but the description definitely fits.


Accurate Descriptions of Me:

"Like most Is, ISFJs have a few, close friends. They are extremely loyal to these, and are ready to provide emotional and practical support at a moment's notice. (However, like most Fs they hate confrontation; if you get into a fight, don't expect them to jump in after you. You can count on them, however,  to run and get the nearest authority figure.) Unlike with EPs, the older the friendship is, the more an ISFJ will value it. One ISFJ trait that is easily misunderstood by those who haven't known them long is that they are often unable to either hide or articulate any distress they may be feeling. For instance, an ISFJ child may be reproved for "sulking," the actual cause of which is a combination of physical illness plus misguided "good manners." An adult ISFJ may drive a (later ashamed) friend or SO[significant other] into a fit of temper over the ISFJ's unexplained moodiness, only afterwards to explain about a death in the family they "didn't want to burden anyone with." Those close to ISFJs should learn to watch for the warning signs in these situations and take the initiative themselves to uncover the problem."

I think that this accurately describes me and my inner workings with people. I can identify with what was said quite easily, which surprised me, in all honesty.

"While their work ethic is high on the ISFJ priority list, their families are the centers of their lives. ISFJs are extremely warm and demonstrative within the family circle--and often possessive of their loved ones, as well. When these include Es who want to socialize with the rest of the world, or self-contained ITs, the ISFJ must learn to adjust to these behaviors and not interpret them as rejection. Being SJs, they place a strong emphasis on conventional behavior (although, unlike STJs, they are usually as concerned with being "nice" as with strict propriety); if any of their nearest and dearest depart from the straight-and-narrow, it causes the ISFJ major embarrassment: the closer the relationship and the more public the act, the more intense the embarrassment (a fact which many of their teenage children take gleeful advantage of). Over time, however, ISFJs usually mellow, and learn to regard the culprits as harmless eccentrics :-). Needless to say, ISFJs take infinite trouble over meals, gifts, celebrations, etc., for their loved ones--although strong Js may tend to focus more on what the recipient should want rather than what they do want."

This also accurately describes me. I have been told numerous times that my "work ethic" is great, and I find the part about how family is everything to be completely true. The part about getting embarrassed easily is true too, though I don't always tell the truth about that when people ask me if I get embarrassed by certain things. The last sentence that talks about taking trouble for their loved ones is true too: many a time I have gotten someone something as a gift that was something I thought they should want, rather than what they actually wanted.


Affirmation Solicitations:

I'm not going to post who gave me this one, but a few of you might be able to guess anyway.

5 Words:
Musical
Willing to adapt to a situation (couldn't find the right word)
Trustworthy
Caring (including tough love when necessary!)
Persistent, even in frustrating situations

Paragraph: (they wrote it knowing I'd read it, so it's addressed to me)

"See above--apply to band." For your application, think over all the situations you've dealt with in band-- class size and its challenges over the years, trombone, boys, siblings, timing-- and you're still doing well and have continually improved. It took the above traits to get there!

I know that this was not the most conventional response I could have gotten, but it really means a lot to me. So...yeah...here it is. :)





2 comments:

  1. I can actually see us having similar personalities now that I actually think about it, but I think that's awesome! Plus, I can pretty well relate to the things that said applied to you. Also, your affirmation solicitation describes you well. I think it's super awesome that you've stuck to band for so long with everything else in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reflection Rachel-- it's cool that you found so much of this to be relatable! I also struggle with giving people gifts according to "What *should* they want?" rather than "What *do* they want?". (People love us at Christmas time.)

    Great affirmation, and I appreciate being reminded of just how long you've devoted your time and energy to band! Awesome to see it's been such a place of stability and simultaneous growth.

    10/10

    ReplyDelete